Sunday, October 2, 2011

"The Fly" x 3 Movie Review Marathon

The FlyImage by ProfessorMortis via FlickrI am having a blast today with a "The Fly" marathon (isn't it about time for another one? After all it's been more than 20 years.). I'm sure somewhere in the world, teleportation is about to become a reality.

Start YOUR marathon with the 1958 Vincent Price version. I hadn't seen it since I was a kid. What a CLASSIC!

Then there's the 1986 one with the gorgeous Geena Davis in the prime of her life and Jeff Goldblum (we really did think he was sexy at the time). It added the element of GROSSNESS (I remember closing my eyes the first time).

Oh, dude, what are you doing? You're going to get spit upon by acid and devoured! OOhhhh!!!! Be prepared. It's the best!

But what I love most about this movie is that it's a remake (of a classic) yet it's COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! Bravo to whoever was involved in the writing. It too, is a Classic in its own right. It is just as much a Masterpiece as the original. My vote? The best "Mad Scientist" movie ever!

The final scene... and then you laugh. Just brilliant.

After that comes the 1989 version with Eric Stolz and that cute little Daphne Zuniga. They call it "The Fly II" but it's really "The Fly III". The face-peeling's pretty good but, I have to say that the monster himself is the least believable of the three.

Otherwise very nicely done, right down to the soundtrack with K.D. Lang.
and it's the only one that brings tears to your eyes.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment