Saturday, July 30, 2011

Martial Arts Movie Reviews: "Champion" a Korean Boxing Film

Bruce LeeImage via Wikipedia
First of all, let me just say that I have this thing for Asian men (don't tell my husband). It all started with Bruce Lee in Return of the Dragon when I was 13 years old. It's what inspired me to start training in martial arts.

The leading actor in this film, playing Deuk-gu Kim (World Lightweight Boxing Champ of Korea), reminds me of Bruce Lee (he's gorgeous and talented both).

Well, enough of that. It also delights me, now, that we are an international culture and I get to see how others have lived their lives in foreign countries, the cultural differences (like beaten for losing AND beaten for winning? - you'll see what I mean. I think this movie is a treasure.

It's the usual "from rags to riches" story. But this time it's about a Korean boxer. Frankly, in my ignorance I thought boxing was just an American thing. Not so. Korea doesn't just produce Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido champions. No. It gives us World Champion Boxers (and, as I recall, some phenomenal Olympic athletes as well).

And I love this boxer's style: He doesn't give them time to think. It's just flurry, flurry, flurry.

Favorite Line:
"The winning team will get 20 roasted chicken!"


Favorite Scene:
The drunken exchange.

And The SONG.

I didn't fully read the intro, so I was a bit shocked by the ending. I recommend letting yourself be surprised too.

Sub-titled but worth it.

P.S. As a Karate-ka, I was never that crazy about boxing. It just seemed illogical to not use your legs too. And what about blocking? It is clearly more about taking a punch than blocking one.   

Still, you have to admire the sport and those who are bold and brave enough to practice it... the same holds true for MMA competitors. Props.

Urban Dictionary: props


www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=props - CachedSimilar
4. props. Slang term for "accolades", "proper respect", or "just dues". Popularized in the 1980s by rappers who shortened the term "propers" which was in ... 


TRAILER "Champion" (Korean):

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment