Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Best Martial Arts Films / Movie Review: "The Expendables" VIDEO

What a treat!

Oldies but still Goodies (like me!). All my favorites: from Jet Li to Dolph Lundgren (who knew he'd turn out to be such a great ACTOR?) and Sylvestor Stallone (famous for the "Rocky" series but "First Blood" was by far my favorite of his films). A modern day "Magnificent Seven" (which, of course, was a remake of Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai").

Oh, yeah, and Jason Statham... mmm. The best thing to come out of Britain since Princess Di. Plus... will it never end... the come-back kid, Mickey Roarke. My favorite of his was "9 1/2 Weeks".

The opening scene makes you wish that they were there for every modern pirate takeover. And the soundtrack is awesome, right on for the script.

And, OMG, Eric Roberts as the bad guy (from "Best of the Best", one of the greatest martial arts films of all time and who knew he was pigeon-toed?!). How fun. For you late bloomers, Eric is Julia's brother. But she hasn't made many movies lately either, so you 20-somethings probably don't even know who SHE is. Watch the classic "Pretty Woman".

Oh, are you kidding me? (I write as I go...) enter Bruce Willis (Die Hard) and Arnold Swartzenegger (Predator).


Favorite Lines: 
 (Mickey to Jason trying to convince him to get a tattoo on his head) "You got one of those perfectly shaped dome masculine heads."

"You lost weight?"... "Whatever weight I lost, you found, pal."

"What are your names, please?"... "Buddha and Pest".


"Why don't we have dinner?"... "When?"...  "In a thousand years!"... "Too soon."

Jet Li: "You don't ask, I don't tell."


Jet Li and Syllvestor Stallone: "When I get hurt, the hole is bigger... When I travel I have to go farther."... "Because you're smaller, right?"... "Yes."

I commend Jet Li for having the humility to take this role. God knows, he can be bigger than life in his own films.


Favorite Scene goes to Mickey Roarke: "If I'd a saved that woman... I might a saved what was left of my soul."

What I find most interesting about this movie (as it is most probably in real life), you have American mercenaries fighting against American mercenaries. I guess the price decides the side.

The Choreography: An Axe Kick to break the neck from behind. Nice.

This is a really GOOD MOVIE: Highly Recommended.







Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment