Monday, December 20, 2010

Q & A: Tips on How To Release Frustration and Stress

A fighter doing some heavy bag work in a train...Image via Wikipedia
Is there a healthy way to release pent up frustration and stress?

Q: Lately I've been going through a crisis of sorts. There are other people involved and when I think about them, I get so angry I just want to scream or break something.

Please don't tell me to do yoga or slow breathing meditation or to hit a pillow. I already do Tai Chi (a soft martial art) and it doesn't help.

Day in and day out, this anxiety persists and I just feel like I'm going to explode. But mostly I just cry all the time. I'm on edge and feel emotionally drained. Is there anything I can do to help myself immediately?

A:  Exercise is key. It produces endorphins, chemicals in your system that work like a "drug" to help relieve stress. You will feel better about yourself at the end of each session.

And I'm glad to hear that you do a martial art. Why not try something a little more... INTENSE. I do a Muay Thai kickboxing class in which we kick and punch bags. The sweat just pours down, I breathe hard, and sometimes I even imagine certain faces on the bag... certain people I'd like to kick the sh-- out of. LOL. It works! At the end of the class it feels like I've done just that.

It's an awesome way to let go some anger and stress. Couldn't cope without it.

And I'm not sure how old you are but age shouldn't matter (unless you have a unique medical condition such as osteoporosis. Then do consult with your doctor first). This class is a cardio/aerobic kickboxing class, no actual sparring involved, which I know intimidates some people. If I can do it at fifty, anyone can.

Have you seen how hard those people work out on Biggest Loser? Most people think that growing older means relaxing... retirement. I'm afraid it's just the opposite. We have to work twice as hard for the same results we had in our earlier years.

Oh, P.S., reducing refined sugar and caffeine and aspartame in your diet also helps. These ingredients can cause these feelings of frustration as a symptom of an out of balance body chemistry. Most people don't understand how powerful sugar is in this regard. Plus, an added benefit of reducing sugar in your diet is more energy for your workout.

Do your legs sometimes feel heavy, like you're lifting them with 20 lb. ankle weights tied to each? Replacing refined sugars (What are those? See the book The Sugar Addict's Diet for a complete explanation.) with more natural ones will take of that. You'll feel much lighter. Instead of dragging yourself through your workout (and your day!), your energy level will skyrocket. And, as an added bonus you'll be able to think more clearly. Improved memory is a side-effect of reduced sugar consumption.

Here's a video from a typical Bag Class:







No comments:

Post a Comment