Thursday, December 9, 2010

My Ship is Coming In! Dream Interpretation / Physical Fitness Advice / Routine / Workouts


Dream interpretation is a great self-therapy practice and something you should incorporate into your self-care routine. As I've stated before, the only book I use (and I use it daily) is The Dreamer's Dictionary by Robinson and Corbett.

Here are last night's dreams (remember that part of the mystery of dream interpretation is that the meanings are often contrary to what you might presume). Check out these mixed messages.

Dream: My partner and I are on a cruise ship (my most favorite thing in the world to do!) or in a fine hotel (either on vacation or a honeymoon). But someone has stolen my black leather purse. I try to find it but can't. I think I know how it was stolen and by whom. But it doesn't matter.

The toughest part is that we no longer have any cash or credit. We can't eat! No purchases of any kind, no restaurant meals, and especially no buffets (another one of my favorite things). It's frustrating as hell.

I keep trying to talk the Front Desk help into cutting us a break, but they just won't do it.

Loss of money: Contrary. You are likely to have a windfall.
Ship: Profitable ventures; success; think of the expression 'My ship is coming in!'.
Anxiety/Frustration: Contrary. Your worries will soon be relieved.
Robbery: Loss of money means that you should be careful how you handle your cash.
Abscond: Be careful not to give your affections unwisely.
Loss of great value: Warning: If you try to be too sharp you can end up cutting yourself!


Today's Workout:
 
Exercise. If you are just starting out exercising or have had a long break, go slow and by all means consult your physician, especially if you have health issues. 

Remember to go at your own pace. It’s a good idea to set machines on Manual. That way you can lower or raise resistance to meet your daily fitness level. I call it Fitness by Feel™. Feel where you are and then push yourself right to the edge of what you can handle. 

Listen closely to what your body is telling you. Back off when it becomes too much. Move forward when you have the strength and energy. Consistence is the key. When I first started on the stairmaster (at 23) I could only go for 4 minutes. Now I can do an hour. But it took time and patience… the new machines with TV monitors help a lot. 

2 Hours (Since I've had to double my workout time with the slowered metabolism of menopause, I am committed now to at least 1 hour a day. But I've found that I really like the yin and yang of working out every other day and resting in between. Thus, the 2 hour workout was born.)

Warm-up: Jump rope and push-ups for 10 minutes then a 5 minute stretch. When you're new to jumping, it's important to find the right rope. It should fit you comfortably, not too long or too short. Measure the rope part, halved. It should reach from your armpit to the floor. If your lungs or calves need a break while jumping, just step in place for a minute, then start again. 

Cardio Kickboxing: I did an hour class at the local Muay Thai Kickboxing Club. But a video at home would work just as well. A club is great because a class consists expressly of calisthenics and bagwork. Punching and kicking a bag are an awesome resistance workout. 

As a woman ages it's especially important to have resistance training as we age to keep our bone mass. A couple of years ago I had a bone density test and was rated in the top 2%. Nice. 

I once did surgery on a woman with osteoporosis. Her bones literally crumbled in my hands. 

Jillian Michaels' experience is similar to mine. She also has a karate and yoga background. So I'm comfortable in recommending her kickboxing workouts. Some health clubs have dance-like kickboxing classes. If the moves are too fast or the instructor doesn't understand the dynamics of kicking, it's easy to injure yourself. Always end the kickboxing with a cool-down stretch. A few yoga moves are perfect.

Elliptical Machine: After class I did a nice steady fat burning pace on the elliptical machine for 15 minutes.

Bicycle: Then 10 minutes on a recumbent bicycle.

Treadmill: And topped it off with 20 minutes on the treadmill with a nice steady climb working up to levels 8-10 incline at a nice slow pace of 2.2 to 2.4. Did you know that you burn more calories walking on a high incline than you do running on a low one?



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment